3. Syndication and widgets Content syndication will become more mainstream
Value will emerge in personalized aggregation services
Rss will start to include ads (most rss feeds are ad free at present), this will finally convince the major publishers (news sites) to publish full feeds rather than only the article teaser. e.g. Springwidgets.com/ and Sproutbuilder.com/
4. Location based services Thanks to the GPS functionality on the Iphone and other smartphones, the use of location based services will rise turning the yellow pages directory listing businesses on their head. e.g. iloop.com and brightkyte.com, but I expect facebook and myspace to integrate location based services in 2009.
Social recommendations will add value creating a mashup of recommendation & discovery services. e.g. tribesmart.com
5. Social media matures 2009 will see social media mature as brands, organisations and politicians read about why Obama’s campaign was so successful.
6. Integrated campaign metrics The holy grail of marketing .. will get one step closer as technology starts to allow a more integrated metrics reporting of campaign media. This will accelerate the move to digital and digital agencies will start to play the lead role in marketing initiatives & strategy.
7. Personalised Knowledge Discovery Recommendation engines and personalisation will start to produce some value as people learn about needs they didn’t know they had.
Attention spans will overflow forcing a change in information distribution. E.g. Twitter will be used for what I call SPR or the “short press release”.
8. Attention Surplus Disorder will be coined as a condition that affects a growing number of people. Media saturation will start to drive a market for a growing range of filtering services, many of them specialised on a niche topic.
9. Opinion fraud will become common place with companies paying for positive recommendations for their products and services. Traditional media will continue to publish the worst of these stories, but even that will not be enough to discourage a growing number of companies into this activity.
10. Life Streaming will explode as devices simplify the ability to record experiences. Examples Socialthing.com/ (recently acquired by AOL) and Friendfeed.com/
All in all 2009 promises to be an exciting time for innovation and despite the economic climate, I believe that emerging tools will continue to prosper.