Scrabulous attracts over 600,000 daily users and nets the 20-something Indian brothers who created the application, $25,000 worth of advertising each month. So Hasbro has asked Facebook to take down Scrabulous.
This is where Legal deparments don’t understand social networks.
- The Scrabulous fans are passionate about the game and are not happy about Hasbro’s heavy handedness.
- Already, there are over 55,000 members in a Save Scrabulous Facebook Group that are talking of a boycott of all Mattel and Hasbro products.
So what should Hasbro and Matel do instead ?
- Consider buying Scrabulous and use the passionate fans to evangelise scrabble as a learning game.
- Hire the Scrabulous creators to develop online versions for other social networks.
- Sponsor competitions of the online game.
- Allow fans to create personalised scrabble games which they can design online.