Social Media continues to be a topic generating quite a bit of buzz, and sometimes this buzz comes in the form of statistics.
Gary Haynes from Personalize Media has created this counter which demonstrates the raw volume of time and dollars associated with several key social media entities.
Here’s some of the key stats
- * 20 hours of video uploaded every minute onto YouTube (source YouTube blog Aug 09)
- * Facebook 600k new members per day, and photos, videos per month, 700mill & 4 mill respectively (source Inside Facebook Feb 09) .. Facebook now boasts more than 8 million Australian active users
- * Twitter 18 million new users per year & 4 million tweets sent daily (source TechCrunch Apr 09) .. there are 1.5 million Australian twitter users
- * iPolicy UK – SMS messaging has a bright future (Aug 09)
- * 900 000 blogs posts put up every day (source Technorati State of the Blogosphere 2008)
- * YouTube daily, 96 million videos watched, $1mill bandwidth costs (source Comscore Jul 06 !)
- * UPDATE: YouTube 1Billion watched per day SMH (2009)- counter updated!
- * Second Life 250k virtual goods made daily, text messages 1250 per second (source Linden Lab release Sep 09)
- * Money – $5.5 billion on virtual goods (casual & game worlds) even Facebooks gifts make $70 million annually (source Viximo Aug 09)
- * Flickr has 73 million visitors a month who upload 700 million photos (source Yahoo Mar 09)
- * Mobile social network subscribers – 92.5 million at the end of 2008, by end of 2013 rising to between 641.6-873.1 million or 132 mill annually (source Informa PDF)
- * SMS – Over 2.3 trillion messages will be sent across major markets worldwide in 2008 (source Everysingleoneofus sms statistics)
Via Laurel Papworth